Monday, May 07, 2007

True Confessions

Amy provided me with this little knitting game. Apparently, she and the Usual Suspects think I might be running out of blog fodder - and so early in the game!

I actually found this to be an a good check-in for me; a way to answer questions such as:

  • Am I the knitter I want to be?
  • Are there still things I need / want to learn or teach?
  • Are there things I just will never do and I'm just fine with?
  • Will Fair Isle Aways kick my butt?
The "real" rules for this game call for you to "Mark with bold the things you have ever knit, with italics the ones you plan to do sometime, and leave the rest". Screw that. Not being one to follow the rules, I'd rather answer each one and provide some humorous* running commentary along the way.

Afghan - No, American but I have knit a big huge blanket thing.
I-cord - You cord, we all knit I-Cord; yes.
Garter stitch - Really? This was a question?
Knitting with metal wire - Does wire come in other forms? Pass.
Shawl - Lots of things could fit here but I know I qualify.
Stockinette stitch - See garter stitch.
Socks: top-down - Yes.
Socks: toe-up - Yes.
Mittens: Cuff-up - Yup
Mittens: Tip-down - I'm getting dizzy; no.

Knitting with camel yarn - Not while it was still on the camel but, yes.
Hat - No thanks, I'm warm enough. No.
Knitting with silk - Yes.
Moebius band knitting - Not on purpose.
Participating in a KAL - Failing in a KAL.
Sweater - Sure.
Drop stitch patterns - Too easy. Yes.
Knitting with recycled/secondhand yarn - Yup.
Slip stitch patterns - See Drop stitch patterns.
Knitting with banana fiber yarn - Hmmm - I got nothing here. Yes.
Domino knitting - They kept falling off the needles. Yes.
Twisted stitch patterns - Yes.
Knitting with bamboo yarn - I'm all about natural fibers baby! Yes.
Two end knitting - Yup.
Charity knitting - I am my own favorite charity. Yes.
Knitting with soy yarn - While using chopsticks.
Cardigan - How is this different from sweater? Yes.
Toy/doll clothing - I have a 10-year old.
Baby items - She wasn't always 10.
Knitting with circular needles - Yup.

Knitting with your own hand spun yarn - Not there yet.
Slippers - MINNESOTA!
Graffiti knitting (knitting items on, or to be left on the street) - I must be really out of it!
Continental knitting - I get the names mixed up but I'm bi-hemispheric.
Designing knitted garments - Does a poncho for a Beanie Baby count?
Cable stitch patterns - Do these get harder as we move down the line? Yes.
Lace patterns - Yes! Yes! Yes!
Publishing a knitting book - I'm the only one who hasn't.
Scarf - See garter stitch.
Teaching a child to knit - 10 year-old daughter.
American/English knitting - See Continental.
Knitting to make money - Ha!!!!!
Button holes - Not intentionally.
Knitting with alpacas - Yes; we have several in the yard with whom I knit every afternoon.
Fair Isle knitting - See intro to this blog post.
Norwegian knitting - I'm German, Irish, Scottish. We don't recognize Norway.
Dying with plant colours - Chemical dyer on-board.
Knitting for a wedding - Lots of little 1st Communion things; no weddings.
Household items - Warshrags.
Knitting socks (or other small tubular items) on two circulars - I'm a 1 circular girl.
Knitting with someone else's hand spun yarn - Isn't it all some else's? Yes.
Knitting with dpns - Yes. For the record I really hate that abbreviation.
Holiday related knitting - Which holiday? Yes.
Teaching a male how to knit - I hope he's a male.
Bobbles - Uhhhm, sure?
Knitting for a living - I live to knit.
Knitting with cotton - Yarn or balls? Yes.
Knitting smocking - Pass.
Dying yarn - The dyeing season is almost here and soon my friends will come!! YES! YES!
Steeks - Eeks! No.
Knitting art - It's all art to me.
Knitting two socks on two circulars - No.
Fulling/felting - Sometime on purpose.
Knitting with wool - Huh?
Textured knitting - I think so.
Kitchener BO - Yup; KOPO POKO is my mantra.
Purses/bags - Sadly, I must confess, yes.
Knitting with beads - They wouldn't stay on the needles. Sorry.
Swatching - Always.
Long Tail CO - Yup - sometimes.
Entrelac - Love it.
Knitting and purling backwards - Yup.
Machine knitting - Uh, no.
Knitting with self patterning yarn - Can't get away from the stuff it seems.
Knitting with cashmere - Only in the dark when I'm alone.
Knitting with synthetic yarn - There was a time.
Writing a pattern - Yep.
Gloves - Without the fingers??
Intarsia - Kicks my butt too!
Knitting with linen - Yessirre.
Knitting for preemies - Just small babies.
Tubular CO - Totally.
Freeform knitting - I'm stumped.
Short rows - Yep.

Cuffs/fingerless mits/armwarmers - Oops. I answered gloves wrong.
Pillows - Yes, but not the stuffing part.
Knitting a pattern from an online knitting magazine - Sure.
Rug - No.

Knitting on a loom - Actually, yes.
Thrummed knitting - Looks silly to me.
Knitting a gift - Ask me about Swallowtail.
Knitting for pets - Sorry Holli and Tigger.
Shrug/bolero/poncho - Yes.
Knitting with dog/cat hair - Yes, it's in everything I knit.
Hair accessories - Have you ever scene my hair?
Knitting in public - OK at first I didn't see the "l". Yes; all the time.


*Use of the word "humorous" just means I think it's funny. Your mileage may vary. Laugh, chuckle, snort, giggle, or moan at your own discretion.

See you tomorrow.