Friday, September 28, 2007

Swap-Bot Swap

A few month's ago Chris found a hand-dyed swap on Swap-Bot and talked me into joining it. It was a really small swap - maybe 12 participants. I sent my yarn out earlier this week as noted here. Mine had to go all the way to Philadelphia and I have no idea if it got there yet.

I was a very lucky recipient. My swap sender was someone known to me,
Louise. She's an awesome sock knitter and a really wonderful hand-dyer. Louise is a friend of Jeanne's. Louise knew that Jeanne and I spent an obscene amount of some time dyeing yarns together and asked her for suggestions on colors. Jeanne's response: "She never met a color she didn't like!"

This is the "freebie" yarn Louise tossed in with her swap yarn. She didn't think it turned out right and suggested that I could over-dye it. Having a lot of experience in this arena myself, I know that my first step is not to go pack to the dyes but to re-skein.

Step 1 - I don't know Louise. It's looking mighty good here. I have a really good feeling about this.

Step 2: on to the niddy-noddy for skeining. Yup - this is a keeper. I'm calling it Juicy Fruit. You, uh, don't want it back now do you? Because it's really quite lovely.

I'm not sure how she managed to pull this off. Given my love for Endless Summer Hydrangeas and their special significance to me this week in particular, Louis dyed this beautiful colorway she named Endless Summer.

Thank you so much, Louise. I will think of Leslie as I knit this yarn into socks and remember her when I wear them.