Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Stocking Stuff

Since the camera is away on another international trip, you'll be stuck with a few picture-less posts. As luck would have it, I remembered a few things I'd seen while blogging around that I can use. I shamelessly stole this sock survey from Valerie, who got it from Turtlegirl, who got it String Bean and so on....


1. What’s your favorite sock yarn? Note that the word ‘yarn’ is singular. Just pick one. Although I've only knit one sock with it, I'd have to say Koigu. I can't imagine anything would happen in the knitting of the second sock to change my mind.


2. What’s your favorite type and brand of sock needle? Addi Turbo circular Lace Needles. I love the sharp tips and the more flexible cord provided on the lace needle.


3. Do you knit your socks toe up, cuff down, or sideways? While I might be sideways when I knit them, I knit 90% of my socks toe-up. Sometimes I'll do a pair cuff-down just to switch things up a bit (like brushing your teeth with you non-dominant hand).


4. Do you knit both socks at once or just one at a time? I knit them one at a time, but I wear them both at once.


5. What’s your favorite toe and why? True confession - I didn't know it had a name. I do a Turkish or Eastern Cast-on and then increase until I have the desired number of stitches for the the foot. So whatever that's called, let me know so I can call it by the right name. (If you only knew how much I wanted to answer this "pinky toe on my left foot"!!)


6. Favorite heel? This I know. Short row.


7. Do you prefer plain or patterned socks? Yes. For different reasons. Plain for just having around when I need something for my hands to do and patterned for when I need to knit and think (oh, that reminds me of Amy kind of!)


8. Who do you knit the most socks for? This question should really read "Who do you knit most of your SOCK for?" And it relates directly to #7. I just get bore too easily I guess. Or distracted perhaps. And so lots of times, only one sock ever gets....wait, what was the question? Sorry. For me.


9. Do you darn your socks? If not, what do you do with them? No; I damn the quite often however.


10. Do you only wear hand-knit socks? See #8. Remember that I live in Minnesota and do the math. So sometimes I wear Smartwools or UnderArmour socks or black, blue or gray thick knee socks that I get at Target.


Bonus question: What pattern, if any, is your basic “I-just-need-a-pair-of-socks” sock pattern based on? Cast on 8 stitches and work whatever my toe is called until I have 64 stitches; then I use the Thuja pattern, short-row heel, work the leg, work 1 inch in 1x1 twisted rib pattern and bind off using the K2tog, return resulting stitch to left needle, K2tog, return resulting stitch to left needle, K2tog etc. Then start something new.





At this point you're either thinking "Man I hope that camera comes back soon", or "I hope she doesn't get one of her own for Christmas!"