Thursday, January 22, 2009

Yesterday, Chris announced that reading is on the rise for the first time in 25 years. As for me, I've always been a reader. I almost always have one or two books going at any one time. I don't fit neatly into any particular category of book type - but rather a wide range of books. I prefer to own my books but don't care whether they are hard cover, soft cover or paper backs.

I am also an avid audiobook listener. I love listening to books while walking, spinning, knitting, and sometimes - although it's a royal pain in the butt - while trying to fall asleep. The downfall with books on iPod is that you can't rewind in anything but BIG chunks.

And now, thanks to Jon and his most excellent giving of presents-I-didn't-know-I-needed-and-now-don't-want-live-without skills, I am reading via a whole new medium.

Behold - up to 300 books. In one little leather folio.

One little leather folio which contains my new SONY digital reader (except I don't have the cool Ian Flemming engraved one). I can't tell you how much I love this little thing. I've read 6 books since Christmas on it and I'm convinced it's because I read faster. The most likely reason is that I don't have to go through all the tiny little adjustments with my eyes and glasses (or contacts) that I normally would after turning a page. I simply get comfortable and then, I don't move - at all - while reading. Except maybe to get another glass of wine. So yeah - reading is up here to.