Thursday, January 15, 2009

Just Not Too Fast

Kathryn has decided that she wants to grow up, move out, get an apartment in the city, live on her own, fend for herself learn to cook a few simple things. I begrudgingly cheerfully obliged. We started with something that she likes and that is really easy to make. My goal was to give her a basic knowledge of something that she could then easily adapt.

So, Crunchy Parmesan chicken breasts it was. I figure if you learn to bake a chicken breast, you can customize it any way you want. Feel like Mexican, roll it in crushed tortilla chips and serve it with salsa. Feel like Italian, spread pasta sauce, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese etc.
These are simply soaked in milk and butter for a few minutes, then shaken in equal parts bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese seasoned with oregano, salt and pepper. I simply provided the instructions and Kathryn did all the work. Ready for the oven.
While the chicken was in the oven, she followed the directions on the Rice-a-Roni package (OK - I confess, a childhood favorite of mine and I still love it!) Other than the hot splatter when cold water met the hot, HOT, HOT pan and scared the crap out of her, this was prepared flawlessly. The key here was to get her to read the package instructions COMPLETELY before starting. Don't just look at the "What You Will Need" section and start.
There were peas (heated in the microwave) and brownies for dessert.
Dad was pleased - but then again, he's not the hardest member of the family to please.

Ahhh - the "Clean Plate Club" approves. Since this meal, she has prepared simple spaghetti on my birthday and would now like to move on to lasagna. I guess I'm all in favor of this but I kind of thought I had a few more years and that we'd start with the easy stuff - like Ramen noodles.