Thursday, August 14, 2008

P

. . . is for Playhouse.

Just a few steps from the porch, but miles away, is Kathryn's playhouse. Daddy built it for her when she was 4 years old.
The Mr. Ed door,

and the butterfly "Welcome" sign have greeted her friends for more than 7 years.

There is plenty of room for playing,

. . . or quiet reading
We have a sleeping loft which is perfect for escaping the dog - for now!

"I think I can, I think I can!"

"Do they Stair Climbing in the Dog-lympics?"

And plenty of nooks and crannies for storage of out-of-favor toys, until they come back in favor.

The playhouse has many modern conveniences: electricity, heat, hook ups for phone, cable, satellite TV, internet, and intercom back to the house. We worry now and again if she has plans for this space for the upcoming teen years. Mental note - install smoke detector and hidden web cam soon. I know I have big plans for the space after she's grown out of it. Chris, Jeanne and I have often wondered just how hard it would be to get running water out to the playhouse for a dyeing studio.
But for now, it's a retreat, far from home; a place for the kids to dream, to play and be kids. And when the day is done, they can open the door step back home.


P is for Playhouse.
*It should also be noted that as of today P is also for Preparations as the WTT household is eagerly anticipating the arrival of the California cousins and my sister who will be here for 10 days. Of course this means tons of fun and playing and that posts will be less than predictable during this time.