Friday, July 24, 2009

Sad, not Blue


For more than 14 years I have lived in a blue house. I've always wanted to live in a blue house. I love my blue house. Love, love, love my blue house. It looks perfect in every weather condition. On sunny days, it looks happy; on cloudy days, it seems to brighten things up; the blue just shines against a snowy backdrop in winter; in the fall, this color blue looks gorgeous with all the fall colors. I have always given directions to our house based on the color "Follow that all the way to the end; it's the blue house at the bottom of the hill."
I guess it's time for a change. The old girl needs paint and some one's we've decided to go more neutral. Sometime between now and the time she'll need to be painted again, we hope to sell her and build again. The reality is, neutral will help her sell better. Conceptually, I understand this. I also understand that painting her again in this time frame would be a waste of money.But, I'm a blue girl. Actually, I'm anything but a neutral girl. I'm going to have a hard time telling people "Follow that all the way to the end; it's the house that looks like all the other houses in the those subdivisions that all look alike which is so not what we wanted when we built this house and painted it blue but now looks like that - or - it's the last one on your right."

On closer inspection - nope - I don't even really like the new trim color either. And the painter wasn't even cute.