Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Stress Test

Kathryn missed last Friday at school to attend the funeral of a family friend with us. This was all cleared with the teachers ahead of time (as far ahead as one can plan such things) and all was good until last night at around 11:00 or so. I'm not real good with parenting things after "lights out" but there two things in particular where I really suck - barf and tears. Luckily for Jon, last night did not require a big clean up. But missing that one day of school had her so off her schedule that she was feeling that "I'm so overwhelmed by it all" feeling that she just lost it. She started going through how much work she had to make up, plus how much she already had, plus the new stuff that had come in and - well - we all know how that feels. And I know, from personal experience, that Jon's shoulder is the best one to cry on in those instances.

This morning at breakfast, with her puffy eyes, studying for a science quiz, her spirits seemed a little bit better. But I can't help but think know, I'm raising myself!

"Oh sis, I never knew you had to actually STUDY for DNA tests!! You must be smart!" - Tig