Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Do You Remember?

Do you remember (or know) what happened 50 years ago today? It sparked a lively conversation in the car on the way to school this morning when Kathryn started singing along to "American Pie". I asked her how she knew the song. "Madonna sings it!" I didn't kick her out of the car, but she was subjected to 10 minutes of music history, the significance of the death of these three performers and its impact on other performers at that time.

I remembered how I used to play the song over and over again as a young girl, probably about her age. We'd listen to the lyrics and try to figure out what they all meant. We wrote them all down, line by line, and thought we had it all figured out - the whole thing. Life! Figured out there on paper, through the lyrics of a song.

And then, I wished I was young again.