Wednesday, December 24, 2008

A Tradition Begins

"How come we never make Christmas cookies?" "Um, because it's two days before Christmas and I have tons of other stuff to do."


Of course that's what I was thinking, but not what I said. And I'm a happier and better mom for it. So we gathered our supplies from the grocery store . . . or . . .


. . . from the baking cabinet (and secret chocolate hiding place).

We made ourselves some cocktails - pomegranate orange fizz for Kathryn, Pinot Noir for me. Hey - we're on vacation!


And we began. First up: the sugar cookies. I cheated and bought the pre-cut frozen ones. Just bake . . .

. . . and decorate!

Peanut Butter Blossoms - unwrap twice as many Kisses as you need, eat half as many as you unwrap.

That way all the math works out just fine.


Everyone has a different name for these: Russian Tea Cakes, Mexican Wedding Cakes, Swedish something or others.


The perfect little hands of a future baker.


They get a little boring after the third roll through the sugar - but they are SO worth it.

The ghost of Christmas cookies yet to come. We had a such a great time. I hope she remembers to ask me next year. And I hope I remember to say "Yea - let's make some cookies again."