Tuesday, February 14, 2006

One done, one to go.



Eleven days to do the second sock. Seems do-able. More later on the sock. This is mostly a post to play around with uploading pictures. Even though I have an extreme techno-husband (and I mean that in the most endearing way possible) I'm really trying to learn all this (blogging) stuff on my own. He did show me how to steal HTML code off of other sites, for buttons and the like, and assured me that it was legal and OK and that everyone does it. This picture was taken with my cell phone camera which is why it sucks, emailed to me, and uploaded, which is why it sucks. But at least I figured out how to do it. Now I just have to learn how to do it all over again with the good digital camera which will require a lesson from Jon, the techno-husband.

Back to the sock. This is my first attempt at a toe-up sock. Um - not a big fan. If I hadn't committed to doing two of them as toe-up, I'd skip and do the second one cuff down. I kept telling myself that it was a good brain exercise, like brushing your teeth with you non-dominant hand, but I could not wrap my brain around the whole process. I had a difficult time figuring out where I was and what I was doing. The whole short row heel was a mystery to me. At one point I had two heels on this sock.

I'll admit to part of my problem being hubris. "I've made lots of socks before - how hard could this be?" "I've knit a ton; just follow the directions and go." Honestly, I was stumped on the Turkish cast-on. But I fumbled my way through sock number 1. There was one thing I liked about the toe-up procedure. I consider knitting the instep, down to and including the toe, to be the most boring part of the sock and this way you get that done first.

On to sock number 2.

Tonight we will be celebrating Valentine's Day as we have for the past several years. We set up the family room like a picnic and eat pizza in front of the fire place. I suspect we will have to watch American Idol since that is what Kathryn and Jon usually do on Tuesday's when I am teaching. (We cancelled our Tuesday Anything Goes class this week so everyone could be with their respective sweeties!) I'm making homemade, heart-shaped pizzas tonight. I hope the mother-of-the-year people stop by to see the home-made crust!

I'm not sure how this little celebration became a "family" celebration and not just a "sweetheart" deal and I certainly don't mind that my daughter delights in the tradition of this whole thing. The funny thing is that Kathryn 's birthday is October 28; she was 3 weeks early. Do the reverse math. I think some day she will be so grossed out when she figures out that this little celebration in front of the fireplace started without her!! Jon and I will be alone in front of the fire place again.